Summit & Expo
Former Editorial Assistant
Although microalgae certainly represent a novel, promising source of several bioactive compounds, less attention has been paid to the difference between potential cultivation techniques and their associated environmental and sustainability footprint. Here, location, water availability and quality, cultivation technique, energy source, energy requirements, volumetric productivity, downstream approach and carbon footprint are key factors in the overall sustainability profile of a given approach. The paper will compare different approaches to microalgae cultivation with regards to sustainability impact and other environmental considerations.
Nutraceuticals Europe – Summit & Expo is a two-day international event held annually, designed for professionals in the industry of functional ingredients, novel foods, and supplements. The sixth edition of the event took place on March 8th and 9th 2023 at the Barcelona CCIB in Spain and TKS participated as the international media partner with the journal Agro FOOD Industry Hi-Tech.
The event was divided into two parts: the Summit and the Expo.
The Summit featured highly scientific content presented by both Spanish and internationally recognized speakers. The focus was on the analysis of trends and scientific innovation. It was attended by R&D professionals, scientists, and food and drink professionals in general.
On the other hand, the Expo was designed for business development and featured producers and marketers of functional and novel ingredients, dietary supplements, and nutricosmetics.
Nutraceuticals Europe – Summit & Expo 2023 received 26% more professional visitors than in the previous edition, with a positive balance. The event was attended by international visitors, making it a truly global event.
During those two days I appreciated a lot of discussion around prevention and formulation, as well as meeting the specific needs and preferences of consumers. For example, there has been an increasing demand for vegan options, as well as specialized diets for pets and sport nutrition not just for athletes.
In terms of formulation, one of the most popular trends discussed at the event was the rise in recent years of gummies as a convenient and tasty way to consume vitamins, supplements, and other nutrients. Gummies are particularly popular with children and adults who struggle to swallow pills or who prefer a more enjoyable way to take their supplements. Many companies have responded to this trend by introducing gummy formulations of their products. These gummies come in different flavors and colors and are supplemented with vitamins, probiotics, and other nutrients. I have personally tasted gummies supplemented with b12 vitamins and probiotics.
Another trend that emerged at the Nutraceuticals Europe – Summit & Expo 2023 was the emphasis on personalized nutrition. Consumers are becoming more aware of the impact of nutrition on their health, and they are seeking tailored nutrition solutions that meet their specific needs.
By tailoring nutrition to individual needs, personalized nutrition has the potential to improve health outcomes and prevent disease.
One way that companies are responding to all these trends is by conducting clinical trials to provide data that supports their claims. Consumers are increasingly interested in the science behind their food choices, and companies that can provide evidence of the benefits of their products are likely to be more successful.
Overall, Nutraceuticals Europe – Summit & Expo 2023 was a successful event that brought together professionals in the industry of functional ingredients, novel foods, and supplements. The event showcased the latest trends and innovations in the industry and provided a platform for businesses to network and collaborate. With the increasing demand for specialized products and the emphasis on the science behind food choices, it is clear that the nutraceutical industry will continue to evolve and grow in the coming years.
For more info: https://www.nutraceuticalseurope.com/en/
References and notes
- Still feeling good: The US wellness market continues to book, McKinsey (2022) available at https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/consumer-packaged-goods/our-insights/still-feeling-good-the-us-wellness-market-continues-to-boom
- Personalized Nutrition Market to Perceive Promising Growth of USD 20.14 Billion with CAGR of 10.50% By 2029: Size, Share, Industry Analysis, Trends And Value Forecast, Data bridge market research (2022) available at https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2022/09/16/2517398/0/en/Personalized-Nutrition-Market-to-Perceive-Promising-Growth-of-USD-20-14-Billion-with-CAGR-of-10-50-By-2029-Size-Share-Industry-Analysis-Trends-And-Value-Forecast.html
- Hot or not: Where European VC funding went in 2022 available online at https://pitchbook.com/news/articles/2022-europe-israel-vc-funding-breakdown
- Nutrition Business Journal Personalized nutrition special report (2022) available at https://store.newhope.com/collections/reports/products/personalized-nutrition-special-report-2022
- Europe Sport nutrition market 2023-2028 available online at https://www.mordorintelligence.com/industry-reports/europe-sports-nutrition-market
- Global metabolic testing market by 2030 - https://www.globenewswire.com/en/news-release/2022/10/28/2543696/0/en/Metabolic-Testing-Market-Worth-US-1125-26-million-by-2030-Growth-Plus-Reports.html
- Berry, S.E et al .,Human postprandial responses to food and potential for precision nutrition. Nat Med 26, 964–973 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41591-020-0934-0
- Zeevi et al. Personalized nutrition by prediction of glycemic responses. Cell Vol:163, issue nr.5: 1079-1094, Nov 19 (2015) doi https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2015.11.001
- Inez Trouwborst, et al.Cardiometabolic health improvements upon dietary intervention are driven by tissue-specific insulin resistance phenotype: A precision nutrition trial, Cell Metabolism, Volume 35, Issue 1, 2023, Pages 71-83.e5, ISSN 1550-4131, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmet.2022.12.002
- Radtke, M.D.et al. Validation of Diet ID™ in Predicting Nutrient Intake Compared to Dietary Recalls, Skin Carotenoid Scores, and Plasma Carotenoids in University Students. Nutrients 2023, 15, 409. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu15020409
- Moyen A et al. Relative Validation of an Artificial Intelligence–Enhanced, Image-Assisted Mobile App for Dietary Assessment in Adults: Randomized Crossover Study J Med Internet Res 2022;24(11):e40449 doi: 10.2196/40449
- Barron, E, Bradley, D, Safazadeh, S, et al. Effectiveness of digital and remote provision of the Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme during the COVID-19 pandemic. Diabet Med. 2023; 00:e15028. doi:10.1111/dme.15028
- Ethical guidelines for trustworthy AI (2019) available at https://digital-strategy.ec.europa.eu/en/library/ethics-guidelines-trustworthy-ai
- European commission. Regulation of the European Parliament and of the council laying down harmonised rules on artificial intelligence (artificial intelligence act) and amending certain union legislative acts (2021) https://artificialintelligenceact.eu/the-act/
- Qina LDA. The Hub for data and insights in Personalised nutrition. Available online at https://qina.tech